Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Why is that?

My nose is extremely opinionated.
It can be good and bad...
If something smells "odorific" as Joel would say, it just about ruins my day. I'm telling the truth.
BUT... If something smells pleasant, it really moves my soul.


So here's a few things...
I love when older men and women in the eye clinic come in for their appointments, and leave their lingering perfume or cologne scent at the check-in desk. It makes me happy that they made an effort to put it on... they wanted to smell good for someone, and i think that's sweet.

I love when it smells like Christmas. I don't know if it being cold outside produces a familiar scent, or maybe trees. I know something is etched in my memory as a trigger for the season... and i love it. My favorite season is Christmas, not for the presents... but for the joy & the smell.

Today I was filing charts and something smelled like breakfast at my mammaw's house. It made me miss her. Hospice was called into her home about a week ago... I may not ever see her again, alive and well. She's not sick, just very, very old. She was a faithful pastor's wife, the cutest woman on earth, and I am glad to have shared many breakfasts with her.

Anyway... I don't know why smells effect me so much, but they do. Maybe there's a reason, for some of them at least, haha.

3 comments:

  1. This is so true. Your nose has special powers.
    I love you Key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've known our senses to move us, but I've never read about our sense of smell in a post before. Thank you.

    A few smells I cherish:
    - Marijuana (wonderful memories of my childhood in the backyard and with my mom)
    - Peppermint (in any form)
    - Espresso beans
    - The old smell of my Gramma's closet (that I wish could be turned into a perfume for me to spray on my pillow)
    - Persimmon (which has recently become my favorite candle scent.)

    I'm so glad we're friends and that I can experience joy through your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a really old post and i dont think you use this anymore BUT smells effect me the same way. I smelled "daycare" at church today and i had to smile.

    ReplyDelete